The first course in any commercial project is often included as part of the entire wall system when actually it should be thought of as a complete system of its own. The first course running along the floor is an area of the wall that takes continual abuse when compared to the entire wall. The cause could be something as minor as the heels of children’s shoes rubbing against it to the harsh pounding of an electric floor scrubber or power spray cleaner. This first course needs special protection. The only material that I have ever seen successfully take all sorts of abuse year after year in all types of applications is Structural Glazed Tile (SGT). There is little, if any, maintenance to consider with SGT. The fired in ceramic glazed finish is part of the structural clay unit and it will never peel or flake off. It is also chemical, impact and fade resistant. It can be used in combination with most types of wall systems, not just masonry. Here are a few base options to consider:
This system is ideal for a cost-effective solution for the base course of your interior walls. Quik-Base is designed for structural use under lockers, corridors, kitchens of any high traffic areas. This system is very pleasing in appearance without rigid perfection for a significant cost savings. Nominal dimensions: Height 4″, Length 16″, Thickness 2″, 4″, 6″ and 8″ finished and/or 2-faces. Corner units also available. These units course out with other masonry units.
Recessed Cove Base
This type of base is typically used in wet areas or areas where there are sanitary requirement The recessed cove base is used with terrazzo or quarry tile flooring. It has a ½” lip at the bottom of each unit. This ½” lip allows for the finished floor to be placed after the walls are installed. The flooring material then fills up the ½” lip area, leaving a smooth and sanitary transition between the flooring and walls. Available in nominal face sizes of 5 1/3″ x 12″, 8″ x 8″ and 8″ x 16″, in thicknesses of 2″ and 4″.
Non-Recessed Cove Base
This type of base is typically used in wet areas or areas where there are sanitary requirements. The non-recessed or feather-edged unit is used with a concrete slab and a thin type of finished flooring material, such as vinyl, a painted surface, etc. Available in nominal face sizes of 5 1/3″ x 12″, 8″ x 8″ and 8″ x 16″, in thicknesses of 2″ and 4″.
This type of stretcher unit is typically used when cove base is not required. Available in nominal face sizes of 5 1/3″ x 12″, 8″ x 8″ and 8″ x 16″, in thicknesses of 2″, 4″, 6″ and 8″. Other face size units available.
All of the Elgin-Butler Brick Company’s base units
- Meet ASTM C-126, Grade S, sized for 3/8″ mortar joints (except for 6T Series sized for 5/16″ mortar joints), and the ceramic glazed finish shall be from the manufacturer’s standard color selection and shall meet ASTM C-126.
- Must meet UL requirements for zero flame spread and zero smoke developed.
- Nominal Face Dimensions: 6T Series ( 5 1/3″ high x 12″ long), 4W Series (8″ high x 8″ long) and 8W Series (8″ high x 16″ long).
- Bed Depth: Nominal thickness dimension of cove base units are 2″ and 4″, as required. Walls requiring vertical reinforcing must use 2″ veneer with CMU backup for reinforcing. The straight base units are available in 2″ veneer or 4″, 6″ and 8″ vertical cell for vertical reinforcing or horizontal cell.
- Shapes: Furnished as shown on the plans in accordance with current standard production of the manufacturer. All external corners shall be bullnosed unless otherwise noted. Internal corners shall be square unless otherwise noted.